So you’ve found a certified matchmaker in your area, but you have no idea what to do next or what to expect when you meet with them? I’m here to help!
Remember that the process of working with a matchmaker puts you in the driver’s seat of your love life alongside a supportive, encouraging, and knowledgeable guide, but you have to make sure you ask the right questions to get the right match.
The initial phone call you made is one of the most proactive steps you can take. A great matchmaker should quickly put you at ease, and ask a few basic questions to evaluate if they are the right person for you to work with. Be prepared to answer questions like– How did you find out about our service? Have you been married before? What are your relationship goals?
Once you both feel that it is a good fit, you will set up the initial appointment, which should last about 1-2 hours. Arrive looking your best—the way you would for a date – and be yourself.
At the initial meeting be prepared to answer more specific questions about yourself and the type of match you are looking for. Also prepare yourself to interview the matchmaker to see if they are someone you think you would like to continue working with. Listen carefully to the matchmaker’s answers and you will begin to get a sense of their specific style.
I suggest that singles ask the follow questions to hone in on which certified matchmaker is the best fit:
- How long have you and/or your company been in business?
- How many matchmakers does the company have and how long have they been working with the company?
- What are the matchmakers’ qualifications and background?
- How are clients screened and interviewed?
- Does the matchmaker meet everyone in person including potential matches?
- How do clients get matched up?
- Who does the matching?
- Do clients get to see an in-depth “profile” or bio along with a photo?
- How does the company advertise and attract new clients?
- How many clients are in the database?
- What is the cost and what do I get for my money?
- Are there a minimum and/or maximum number of matches that I can receive?
- What is the cost for renewing?
- Is everyone charged the same fees?
- If I meet someone I am interested in dating, can I put my contract on hold?
- Do you provide client references or have client testimonials?
- How does communication between client and matchmaker take place, i.e. phone, email?
- What are the business hours and am I able to speak with my matchmaker after hours?
- Are there photos and letters from happy clients?
- How successful are the matchmakers? How does your company define success?
A matchmaker is someone who you will be working very closely with. Matchmakers provide more than just introductions to potential partners. They work with you in a number of different ways to help you learn more about yourself and what you are looking for. Ask what other services they offer. Some matchmakers provide dating coaching, image consulting, mock date scenarios, and wing man/woman services. You may be interested in working with them on more than just making a match!
Of course, please be sure to add in any other questions you might have. The point of the interview is to see if you feel comfortable working with this individual, feel you can trust them, and if they understand what you are looking for. This is a big investment of not only money, but time, so you want to work with someone that you click with. Pick someone who you feel is not judging you but working with you to make sure you are putting your best foot forward, making the best possible decisions for your love life, and are finding a successful path that will lead you to your relationship goals.
As always, you can email me at LisaClampitt@matchmakinginstitute.com with any questions/comments.
Facebook: Matchmaking Institute
Are you single?
For those readers who are single, or if you have a single friend, please join Patti Stanger’s Millionaires Club Matchmaking database by clicking here. Her team of Matchmakers will match you with their paying members. Confidential and free! Millionaires Club Matchmaking has clients all over the US, Canada and the UK. Join today for free!