There is nothing I love more than a great kale salad. My love for kale runs so deep that I almost capitalize the ‘K’ every time I type the word. If you read my blog RealGirl’sKitchen.com you are already well aware of my kale obsession. I would eat it at every meal and have even found ways to incorporate it in to breakfast. This salad is just another great way to add some excitement to an already stellar green. If you aren’t loading up on kale, here is why you should!
- It’s filled with antioxidants
- It’s filled with omega-3s that help regulate your body’s inflammation process
- It’s filled with fiber and sulfur and aids in detoxing your bod
- It’s low in calories, has zero fat and is high in fiber which aids in digestion and (Hello!) elimination.
Kale isn’t the only reason you should try out this salad this summer. The grilled shrimp adds a pop of protein and the grapefruit helps to burn fat thanks to its high levels of enzymes. If you still need convincing, radishes fill you up quickly and help with blood circulation and the avocado will keep your hair, skin and nails glowing. The dream team salad combination? I think so.
- Jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (make sure you cut out that gross little grey vein that runs down the inside of the shrimps body…don’t make me say what it actually is…)
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 grapefruit
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup radishes
- The juice from one lime
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- A generous pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- A small sprinkle of crumbled goat cheese (or skip it to keep this salad even healthier!)
In a grill pan, season the shrimp with whatever seasoning you like. I used a simple salt and pepper. When the shrimp are pink and no longer translucent, remove them from the heat. Wash the kale and let it dry. In a mixing bowl, drizzle olive oil across the kale and massage with your hands (washed, too, of course!) until the leaves soften and turn bright green. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well!
Kick back and chow down, knowing your body is giving you a big hug for all the goodness.