Charity can be a great excuse to go on a date with the new guy in your life! Giving back is great, and it’s even better if you can make it part of a date. It’s sexier than you think, and here are 10 ways you can jump-start a season of charitable dates.
1. Invite a cutie for a walk, run or bike ride through your local park. Before you head out, download the Charity Miles app onto your phone. For every mile, donate money (10¢ for biking, 25¢ for walking or running) to the charity of your choice. Whether you pick the same good cause or two different ones, it’s a great icebreaker and will show your guy that you’re both fit and charity-minded. Win-win!
2. Head to an animal shelter and play with the puppies. It’s a great, low-pressure way to have fun and see his softer side.
3. Pick an organized charity walk, bike ride, swim or any other activity to participate in together. Plan brunch or drinks afterward so that there’s something relaxing to look forward to after the finish line.
4. Many bars host happy hour specials that donate proceeds to a nonprofit, and it’s a great way to suggest casual drinks with friends or a date. If you can’t find one in your town, partner up with your favorite watering hole to make it happen!
5. A charity cocktail party is a great excuse to get all dolled up and party for a cause. If you don’t have a guy to go with, grab a girlfriend and get ready to mingle. Tickets can be pricey, but many times these events include open bar and hors d’oeuvres — and you’d probably spend the same amount of money on dinner and drinks anyway.
6. If you’re getting to know someone, forego the soup kitchen (for now) and stick to yours. Cook or bake something together for the nearest elderly home or homeless shelter.
7. Before heading out to dinner or a movie together, stop by an info session or volunteer orientation at a local charity you’re interested in getting involved with.
8. Find a family to sponsor during the holidays by pulling a name or gift request off of a tree or do your own research. Go shopping together to pick out the presents.
9. Challenge your date to a donation challenge. Each take gently used clothes to a resale shop. The person who makes more money gives it to a cause of their choice. The person who makes less takes the other out for dinner.
10. If all else fails, order your favorite vino from One Hope. They donate half of all profits to charity!